Thursday, February 11, 2010

Split Pea for me.....


This is what I'm making tonight. The milk sounds interesting to make this a creamier recipe. As I'm sure you can tell I cut and pasted this right off Allrecipes after I changed the serving size to 7 because that is how many split peas I had Also I used bacon bits and pieces that I bought this month instead of regular bacon. We got 3 lbs for $3 instead of 12 oz for $3 when it is sliced. BTW I did make some extra bacon that well, I guess I'm just gonna have to nibble on LOL My other change is I also added in a celery stalk chopped with the carrots. So, Lastly, I will post back later tonight the results of how my family enjoyed this dinner. I am also going to mix up some rolls in the bread maker dough cycle and bake off at about 5 pm for dinner by 5:30 YUM-O I can't wait!!!
This was ok, good, not great. Ended up being a bit thick for our taste even with adding 1 cup of chicken broth halfway through. The milk does not take away from the traditional type flavor so I would add it again however, my picky guy do not eat much food that has color so.....the rolls have it!!! See here for the roll recipe.


Prep Time:5 Min
Cook Time:4 Hrs
Ready In:4 Hrs 5 Min
Servings (Help) US Metric Calculate
Original Recipe Yield 9 servings

Ingredients
11 ounces dried split peas
1-1/3 cups diced fully cooked lean ham
2/3 cup diced carrots
2/3 medium onion, chopped
1-1/3 garlic cloves, minced
1-1/3 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3-1/3 cups boiling water
2/3 cup hot milk


Directions::
This recipe's Ingredients were scaled to yield a new amount. The directions below still refer to the original recipe yield of 9 servings.

In a slow cooker, layer the first nine ingredients in order listed (do not stir). Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir in milk. Discard bay leaves before serving.

This recipe is linked to Dining with Debbie's Crock Pot Wednesday although I created it on Thur

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment I love hearing from you. It's always nice to know someone is listening, so let me know you were here and I'll come over and listen to you!!.....Julie